"I am 3/4ths Canadian, and one 4th New Englander - I had ancestors on both sides in the Revolutionary war." - Elizabeth Bishop
____________________________________________

Thursday, March 31, 2016

A view of Great Village, Nova Scotia

Going through some old files and papers, I came across this postcard that I thought was quite interesting. So, I am sharing. I will post Part 3 of my series about Bishop's letters to Aunt Grace soon. It involves a postcard that Bishop send to her aunt. Bishop would have learned about postcards in Great Village, which had a whole series of them showing views of the place, during her childhood.
This view shows the fork in the road before the bridge (down to the left). The right road is up Scrabble Hill and is the Road to Londonderry. On the right is the Elmonte Hotel. In the centre the structures seen are no longer there; it is now the location of the centotaph. This view dates probably just after the turn of the twentieth century. The Elmonte burned in 1932.
One of the fascinating things about this image is the wonderful stamp with King George. Note that it cost 1 cent to send a postcard. I love that word: "Private." There could be no more public communication than a postcard!

No comments:

Post a Comment